2021 Regional Award Highlights: Art and Writing Portfolios
The 2021 regional awards have been announced, and the FIRST EVER virtual regional ceremony hosted by the Alliance for Young Artists & Writers is approaching in less than a month (March 4 at 7:00 pm EST, free and open to all!). We are super pumped for this virtual celebration honoring all regional award winners–including Honorable Mention, Silver Key, and Gold Key winners–and we just couldn’t contain our excitement until then! So in the weeks leading up to the big day on March 4, we will be showcasing regionally awarded works from talented RAL teens here on the blog. Check in regularly to see some of the Honorable Mention, Silver Key, and Gold Key works from across the country. You may even see your own piece on display!
This week, we are highlighting Art and Writing Portfolios. While we will not be able to feature all of our incredible RAL Portfolios in this post, you can check out the full list of award-winning pieces by visiting your regional webpage.
Congratulations again to all our RAL award recipients and to everyone who participated! We can’t wait to celebrate together on March 4.
And now, let’s cheer for some of your award-winning Portfolios!
1. Donghoo Lee, Pandemic Dreams 2021 Gold Key, Art Portfolio Grade 12, St Mary’s High School, Manhasset, NY Michele Bownes, Educator.
2. Dami Ogunmola, Metamorphosis 2021 Silver Key, Art Portfolio Grade 12, Foxcroft School, Middleburg, VA Jackie Washam, Educator.
3. Bianca Teter, Mother’s Devotion 2021 Gold Key, Art Portfolio Grade 12, Cinco Ranch High School, Katy, TX Theresa Burgess, Educator.
4. Grace Kim, A Subversion of Antiquity 2021 Silver Key, Art Portfolio Grade 12, Notre Dame Academy Girls High School, Los Angeles, CA Sophia Beauvy, Educator.
5. Erin Xi, Dao 2021 Gold Key, Art Portfolio Grade 12, Sentinel Secondary School, West Vancouver, BC, Canada Peterson Young, Educator.
1. Aashita Pandey, Brown Girl Stories 2021 Silver Key, Writing Portfolio Grade 12, Millburn Senior High School, Millburn, NJ Mary D’Alessio, Educator.
2. Lauren Ortega, Stardust Summer 2021 Gold Key, Writing Portfolio Grade 12, A.W. Dreyfoos School of the Arts, West Palm Beach, FL Brittany Rigdon, Educator.
3. Rakin Faruk, Your Turn to Take the Blame 2021 Gold Key, Writing Portfolio Grade 12, Home School, Albuquerque, NM Jacquelynne Hernandez, Educator.
4. Rachel Gundersen, Hodge-Podge and Silverware—A Collection of Works That Define My Personality 2021 Gold Key, Writing Portfolio Grade 12, Karl Maeser Preparatory Academy, Lindon, UT Shannon Cannon, Educator.
5. Safaa Ali, Tabula Rasa 2021 Silver Key, Writing Portfolio Grade 12, Bayview Glen School, Toronto, ON, Canada Norm Reynolds, Educator.
Congratulations again to all award-winning portfolios, and to all of our RAL regional award winners!
…And don’t forget! Register and save the date for March 4 at 7:00 pm EST to join us for a virtual celebration of all our regional award winners.
Looking for more opportunities to be recognized? Students of African descent are invited to participate in local and national ACT-SO competitions! NAACP’s ACT-SO is a community-based program that provides a forum for youth of African descent to receive recognition for their achievements in academics, literary arts, visual arts, and the sciences.
The Scholastic Art & Writing Awards are open for entries annually from September through December. See upcoming important dates to learn more about what’s next for the Awards.